Monday, April 24, 2006

Share the Gospel! Rely on God! Follow the Godly!

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, or of me His prisoner; but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, 10 but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher. 12 For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day. 2 Tim 1:8-12 (NASB77)

So in this passage we see three commands to a believer today that Paul also commanded Timothy:

1. Be proud of the Gospel – vs. 8a, 12a “So don’t be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord,” and “and that is why I suffer these things. But I am not ashamed…”

2. Rely on the power of God – vs. 9-10, 12b. I think everything in vs. 9-10 is Paul showing the great power that our God has…(look at the phrases and wording used): He saved us, He called us, according to His own purpose and grace, before time began, Jesus abolished death, brought life and immortality to light through the gospel…all of these phrases show the mighty power of God. We are to rely on that power just like Paul who said in vs. 12b “because I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to guard what has been entrusted to me until that day.”

3. Pattern yourself after the godly – vs. 11 & 13. The apostle urges Timothy in vs. 13 to “hold on to the pattern of sound teaching that you have heard from me…” We as believers should follow the example of Paul! Vs. 11, Paul is a herald, an apostle, and a teacher. Although you are not apostles, you are called to herald the gospel…scream it out…and teach it.

1 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I wanted to tell you again that I like reading your blog. :-) You put in a lot of work there and it is like having a devotion in the morning when I see these. Thank you again so much for writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home