Thursday, April 13, 2006

Passion Week: Maundy Thursday

The effects of the Reformation are still evident within Protestant circles today, in that we no longer emphasize Holy Week (as the Catholic church does). The Reformation taught us to focus more upon the Resurrection of Christ. I am thankful for the focus upon the Resurrection! However, it is good to look at the days prior to it, and to celebrate both the suffering and the resurrecting power of God.

Maundy Thursday derives its name from the latin phrase “mandatum novum do vobis,” which is a quote from John 13:34, “a new command I give to you.” And that command, we know, was that we love one another as Christ loved us. So this day is a celebration of the new command of Christ, and of His body being broken and poured out for us.

On that Thursday before the crucifixion, Jesus gave the disciples a church ordinance – the Lord’s supper. He had washed their feet, and then He had broken bread with them. Take time to read in the Gospels today concerning the Lord’s supper. If Jesus said to love others as He loved us, it is necessary to assess whether or not we are truly obeying His command. He loved us by laying down His life – would you or I do that for another?

I wonder sometimes if we’d even give our shirt, our money, our cars, or our food to others. We aren’t willing to die for others if we aren’t even actively pursuing the lost, the poor, the tired, and the hungry. Oh, how convicting this is to me. And yet, when we are found lacking, God is found with an abundance. The love of God is truly amazing, that He would send His Son to teach us, to love us, and to ultimately die for us. I like how Charles Wesley wrote to this in 1738…

And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior's blood! Died he for me? who caused his pain! For me? who him to death pursued? Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Let us all think today upon Christ’s magnificent love, and how we in turn are supposed to love others in that way. Once you do this, you are accurately celebrating Maundy Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home