Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I'm falling in love...with money?!

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid, what can man do to me?” Hebrews 13:5-6

Another command or virtue is found here in Hebrews 13:5-6. We see that the Christian is to not love money. Uh oh. Did I read that right? Yep, I think it says don’t love money. This verse was written for the persecuted believers, so that they would understand that it is not money that saves them or provides a safe haven in life. God is to be our refuge, our strength, and the Helper to which we look.

You may be wondering, “what constitutes a love of money?” This is something that the Spirit of God will have to show you. It could be that you are constantly thinking of how much you’re making now and how much you could be making. You may simply be obsessed with money itself. Or you may be obsessed with the status it brings. It is possible that you have this type of thought, “If I make more, I’ll have more friends.” Or it may be that you are obsessed with the things that money can buy. You may be continually searching for new clothes, gadgets, houses, and cars to buy.

Just remember, we all most likely struggle with one of these types of love for money. However, when you slip into this sin, seek God. He is the One Whom our hearts should long for. He is the One that our minds should be obsessed with. If anything takes place in life over Him, then we are breaking the first commandment, “You shall have no other gods before me.”

Hopefully we can come to a place in our walk with Christ that we are confident in the Lord and nothing else. There is nothing to fear because God is our Father. When we realize this, we will boldly say with the writer of Hebrews, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid, what can man do to me?”

6 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said. Money is not the root of all evil but the love of money.We are to be good stewards of the money God has allowed us to have.We can do this by giving our tithes and offerings back to God and managing our money wisely.We should always be on guard against putting our hope in materialistic things. When I read your commentary the Lord put a song on my heart that you should be familiar with.It goes something like this, not word for word.I'd rather have Jesus than silver and gold.I'd rather have Jesus than riches untold. I'd rather have Jesus more than anything. Praise his Wonderful, Mighty and Holy Name.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sad thing is we do love money
and we act as if we are so blessed by the LORD.Could it be that HE has blessed us to lay up for ourselves treasure in heaven? We are just too busy laying up for ourselves treasure on this earth!! Otherwise our money would not be for us and our pleasures but we would be giving more to world missions.Isn't America a Christian nation? I wonder how many truly give to missions?
All christians should read John Pipers book Desiring GOD especially the chapter about money.It is very scriptural.Christianity is a very radical thing,far more than most of us are willing to be.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey are you talking about me on the car thing? Just because I bought a truck off ebay :). You know I give all my money to you!

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the last comment,if you will pray and seek GOD.HE will show you how to use the truck for HIS GLORY.As long we don't fall in love the stuff we will not forget HIM,after all its all about HIM.Sadly sometimes I tend to love the gift more than THE AWESOME GIFT GIVER.Every good and perfect gift is from HIM,sometimes we get what we want and say GOD has blessed me,its all about the attitude of the heart and everything that HE blesses us with is for HIS GLORY and our good,for HE has given us all things freely to enjoy.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Shriley,

You know I would be willing to sell my truck and go wherever God sends me if He decides I am fit for something other than selling furniture :)! I would like to sell it for more than I paid for it though and if God does call me to move hopeful it will be with a man (who of course would be my husband).

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Julia said...

jhpb, I love that hymn. I put it on a slideshow for a mission trip that I went on recently. Thanks for your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home