Friday, June 30, 2006

Don't Forget!

Hebrews 13:2 notes the second virtue to be found within the life of the Christian. It states, “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.” The phrasing in the first part reminds me that sometimes this is what we forget to do.

The writer implies that we can, at times, lose sight and forget what one of our duties as a Christian is. It is simply to be hospitable. And it doesn’t even mean to people we know and love and have relationships with. It says “entertain strangers.” This was a key concept in the lives of the early Christians. They were, as noted in the previous post, under persecution. What a thing to ask then, that they be nice to strangers. Can you imagine being a follower of Christ in that day, not knowing who you could trust with your beliefs? Yet the author of Hebrews encourages them in essence saying, be nice to everyone anyway! Be courteous, be thoughtful, have concern, and invite guests. This is the meaning of hospitality.

What a concept for us today, as well. It is so easy to slip into complacent Christianity (ho hum, go to church, go to work, go home). Rather, let us be mindful today, let us not forget, to entertain strangers. What better way to serve Christ and make Him known?

5 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, Ma'am! Hospitality is not talked about quite as much as other Christian virtues, in some quarters. Thanks for making this important point!

And, just to keep things lively, let me say:

Calvinism
Armenianism

Have at it!

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia I have been so intrigued with this verse.I think that people have such a fascination
with angels.
Perhaps as you have pointed out,its about hospitality and the GLORY of GOD. I enjoyed what you have written today.
GODS WORD IS AWESOME!
THANKS!!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continue on with your commentaries.You do a wonderful job writing.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this one. I've actually been thinking on this verse for a couple of weeks now, when I happened to stumble upon it. It's even on a post-it on my mirror. I've been praying for the Lord to work on me with this one. In my job, I have no choice but to deal with dozens of people a day, face to face. I'm painfully aware of the times when I don't represent Christ in my dealings with strangers, not just as a witness, but as a servant.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aoi
we all fall short its when we do not care that we have a SELF problem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home