Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My iPod used by God?

I have gone through several musical genre stages in my lifetime. There was a time when I listened only to Christian music. This was during the early 90's. Then I went through a stage, mainly after Rich Mullins passed away, where I became dissatisfied with contemporary Christian music and dismissed it all and labeled it cheesy. (Just trying to honest with you here.) I think a lot of you out there might be of that persuasion. And that's why I'm writing this blog! In the past few years, my interest has been renewed in Christian music and you know what I found out? My iPod can be used by God.

Psalm 32:7b says (and no I'm not trying to say that the psalmist owned an iPod), "You surround me with songs of deliverance." God has surrounded us, encompassed us with songs about Him! The word deliverance in this verse speaks of songs of salvation and rescue. Everyday on your radio, there is a station that maybe God wants to use to surround you with songs of encouragement...songs that will make you want to praise God because of His redeeming love.

One song that has been used to encourage me lately is by newcomer Jeremy Riddle. It's called "Sweetly Broken." One of the lines says, "You’ve called me out of death, you’ve called me into life, and I was under Your wrath, now through the cross I’m reconciled." When you think of being under wrath, it gets a little scary - but then to know you're reconciled - well praise just breaks forth!

I hope that if you have had bad thoughts about Christian music, that you'll give it another try. Here are some songs that are recent that you might want to check out. Have fun, and may the Lord "surround (you) with songs of deliverance."

1. How Great is Our God - Chris Tomlin
2. Sweetly Broken - Jeremy Riddle
3. Treasure of Jesus - Steven Curtis Chapman
4. My Jesus - Todd Agnew
5. Walk by Faith - Jeremy Camp
6. Much of You - Steven Curtis Chapman
7. Come to Jesus - Chris Rice
8. Not to Us - Chris Tomlin
9. Grace Like Rain - Todd Agnew
10. Empty Me - Jeremy Camp

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have shared this verse about songs of deliverance with many depressed people.This devotion sheds new light on it.It has been a real blessing to my heart.Your ponderings always point us to JESUS.O how we need HIM!!!
Keep on seeking things above where CHRIST is seated at the RIGHT HAND of the FATHER.
THANKS,MOM

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our pastor's wife sang Come to Jesus,last Sunday.Your are right it is a good song.It was lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home