Monday, June 05, 2006

Poverty and the Glorious Gospel

This past week I was blessed by God to be able to travel to a remote part of the world. This place is one in which most Americans have never nor will ever see. I’m not sure why I was called to go. I do know that the Lord used this trip to change my thoughts about missions, about wealth and poverty, and about the Gospel.

On this trip I did not bathe for five days. I did not have running water or good American food to eat. I ate granola bars and tuna and cheese nips. I rode a commercial bus and then got on a smaller bus, all of which took about 6 hours to reach the final destination – Isa (a village of Jacqaru people in the Andes Mountains). It was there that a local believer opened her home to me and exclaimed that our presence there was “a miracle!” We (the team) were able to hand out tracks in Spanish, Spanish New Testaments, and hold services in which the Gospel was preached.

When I read the above paragraph, I feel that I haven’t begun to explain what I saw and experienced on this trip. However, I do notice that while I am trying to convey that, for God’s glory, I was trying to deny myself and the comforts of home, it still seems so little in comparison to the life of Christ and of His apostles.

Take for instance the writings of Paul in 1 Corinthians 4:

9 For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. 10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored! 11 To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. 12 And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; 13 being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things until now. 14 I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children I warn you. 15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. 16 Therefore I urge you, imitate me. 1 Cor 4:9-16 (NKJV)

In this chapter, Paul uses irony and (dare I say it) sarcasm, to show the Corinthian believers that they were completely mistaken about what the Christian walk is to entail. It is not about being strong, distinguished, honored, and rich. Rather it is about experiencing for the sake of Christ these things: fools for Christ, weakness, hunger and thirstiness, lack of clothing, being beaten, homelessness, hard labor, persecution, etc.

I have not begun to understand what the Apostle experienced. I have not become a pauper for Christ. Have you? We have the charge at the end – “imitate me.” I guess I have yet to see any godly Christian I know truly following this command to its fullness for the sake of Christ and the glorious Gospel.

3 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read your commentary today I did so with tears.
I truly believe Americans are under the curse of wealth but most
are poor,blind and naked in a spiritual sense and they are unaware.
Many daughters have done well,but you my daughter Excel them all.
You are truly a young woman that this world is unworthy of and you encourage me more than you will ever know.
KEEP THE FAITH,
MOM

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia,
This was my favorite blog that you did. I absolutely love the title - it's very...gripping. And it's convicting. Thanks for writing what God lays on your heart. Your friendship continues to encourage me after all these years!
Christy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home