Friday, May 19, 2006

The DaVinci Code

If you know me, even a little bit, you’d probably be able to testify to the fact that I am a conspiracy theorist. It all began when I was in 5th grade. I was assigned to do a book report on any United States president. I chose JFK. From that book report on, I was hooked on the mystery surrounding his death. As the years have gone by, I have become fascinated with historical events and the mysteries that people ascribe to those events (did you know that there are conspiracy theories about 9/11?). I am also interested in the truth behind secret societies, such as the Masons, the Mafia, the Illuminati, and even Hitler and the Gestapo. All the fascination boils down to the fact that there are secrets out there that I do not know. I am like a curious child looking for truth in all these things.

This is why I think the DaVinci code is such a hot topic. Everyone is intrigued by this so called mystery concerning Jesus Christ. However, the book by Dan Brown is no mystery at all. I can say this because the truth of the life of Jesus Christ has been recorded for us in the Bible. It contains accurate facts about our Lord. And in Colossians 2, we see the Apostle Paul speaking about a mystery of God. “…And attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Col 2:2-3 (NASB77)

The mystery of God it says is Christ Himself! The world is searching for the mystery surrounding Christ, but in the wrong way. Therefore, when we speak about the DaVinci Code, use the fact that they are searching for a secret and show them that it is hidden in Christ. Tell them the mystery of how God the Son became a human and walked on this earth. That He hung on the cross to pay the debt that we owed, and that He satisfied the wrath of God. Tell them that if they repent of their sins, and in faith turn to Christ that they may be saved.

It is wonderful to know God and know the true mystery in Christ. For in the Word we find truths unlocked of which nothing in this world can compare. I want to encourage you, Christian, continue to search out the mystery of the Gospel and of Christ, continue to seek the truth of God through His Word, and not in a Hollywood movie. Paul said, “8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. 9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;” Col 2:8-10 (NASB77)

2 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

I loved your thoughts on mysteries. I too love all the mysteries - but the greatest mystery is God, himself.

Yes, his revelation was in Jesus, yet, we can read his Word everyday of our lives and still learn something new. I once said to God - I want to know everything about you - he answered - you can't handle everything.

The more I learn about him - the more I am aware of my ignorance.

May God bless you indeed.

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRAVO!!! WELL SAID!!!!
TOO MUCH ATTENTION IS BEING GIVEN TO THIS MOVIE BY CHRISTIANS.
YOU HAVE WELL STATED WHAT I HAVE BEEN LONGING TO HEAR."WE PROCLAIM HIM!"WE SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED BY THIS HOLLYWOOD MOVIE,AS JOHN SAID,THIS WORLD IS PASSING AWAY!!
AND SO WILL THIS MOVIE.
GODS'S WORD IS SETTLED FOREVER.
AL MOHLER HAD SOME GOOD COMMENTS ON HIS RADIO PROGRAM REGARDING THIS TOPIC YESTERDAY.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home